February 13, 2011

LDS Visual aids for Autism

I'm thankful this week for the opportunity to teach Primary again. My assignment is with a 5 year old boy with Autism. When the Bishop set me apart he cautioned me to forgo teaching the gospel until the two of us had bonded. He said he wanted it to be a safe and happy experience. My first experience was Sunday February 6th.
I discovered four very important things:

1) I was 15 minutes shy of activities for us to do together (for the last 20 minutes we walked around the church)

2) He pinches. When I said, "No pinch" he stopped.

3) He responds very well to educational activities, I didn't have enough of them

4) He loves music. Thank goodness I downloaded to my computer some Youtube

I came home and have been spending my spare time creating things for us to do that are educational and can teach the gospel. I share them here and anyone who would like to copy them is free to do so.









                
            I am also taking a class with Utah Educational Network and have learned how to make a youtube playlist and embed them.   My "little guy's" favorite is: Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam.  Here it is for you to enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. so cool! thanks for sharing.
    dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is really cool. Finding yourself 20 min short of activities was not though I am sure, nor being pinched! You are something else with the patience and goodness of a saint. Where is Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam? Maybe I can make a playlist...har har, me do that.

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat
    That was awesome!! I'm sure he is a challenge but you are up for it and are a great example for him.He is so fortunate to have you as his teacher.
    I have missed you and will be home this week..Did I get a new calling last week??? Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful - just great. What a great lady you are. Keep up the good work. Thanx for sharing. oxoxoxoxoxoxox Kaye

    ReplyDelete